Best Shovels: Plastic, Plastic, Plastic – because the tips do not scratch driveways and pavers
- Ergonomic handles help relieve back strain
- Larger shovels are not always better; having to make one or two extra passes across the driveway is always better than getting hurt
Ice Melter –
- Generally, all ice melters work in the same way by depressing the freezing point of ice or snow and turning the mixture into a liquid or semi-liquid slush.
- No Salt! Ever! Salt damages concrete and paver surfaces and is toxic to plants and grass if left down too long or applied excessively
- The compound Magnesium Chloride (AMJ’s product of choice) is applied after precipitation has fallen or ice has formed when using a commercially available granular mix.
- Factors to consider for any anti-icer / de-icer product include (1) amount needed to be effective, (2) time needed to react and go into solution, (3) how long it will provide de-icing action (e.g., longer means fewer reapplications), (4) effectiveness of temperature range (magnesium chloride is 5 degrees F), and (5) environmental aspects such as residues, effects on plant life and effects on concrete.
- Purchasing and use decisions should be carefully considered since anti-icing and de-icing performance capabilities of common ice melting compounds vary significantly.
- Some companies add a color dye so you can see where it’s been spread, a nice feature
- Once a significant melting has occurred, shoveling of the ice layer will be easier and allow things to dry out more quickly.
- Magnesium Chloride residue on the surface will aid in slowing refreezes too, so you may use less product which is more cost effective and better for the environment.
- Also look for new Pet Friendly products
- Always use Plastic, Plastic, Plastic!